top of page
  • Writer's pictureSportFM

All Blacks too strong for Wallabies

New Zealand has hit back hard in the second 2020 Bledisloe Cup Test, defeating Australia 27-7 at Eden Park in Auckland on Sunday.

The result continues the Wallabies horrendous record at the venue, having not tasted success against the All Blacks there since 1986, losing 20 straight Test matches.

Optimism was high in the Australian camp after a pulsating 16-all draw in Wellington last week, and under new coach Dave Rennie signs were there that things would be competitive again in the second Test.

The All Blacks took a narrow lead in to the half time break, Aaron Smith opening the try scoring in the 23rd minute thanks to a Jack Goodhue skip pass.

Ned Hanigan was a strong addition to the Wallabies' starting lineup and they struck back just on the half-hour mark when the blindside flanker broke through an attempted tackle by Joe Moody.

Hanigan burst clear to give the Wallabies vital field position and they capitalised through Marika Koroibete scoring in the left corner.

New Zealand came out firing after half time, scoring tries through Jordie Barrett and winger Caleb Clarke, who was on of the stars of the day for the All Blacks.

With the home side now leading 20-7 the Wallabies had appeared to grab one try back when hooker Brandon Paenga-Amosa found the line from a rolling maul deep inside opposition territory.

The try was subsequently disallowed by the TMO, Paenga-Amosa judged to have promoted the ball illegally across the line and the All Blacks were awarded a penalty.

All Blacks skipper Same Cane scored the fourth and final try in the 53rd minute, with Mo'unga adding the conversion to close out the scoring for the afternoon.

The Wallabies were unable to score in the second half, undoing their good work in the opening half and indeed the first Test in the process.

The two sides will meet again in Australia in Sydney on October 31st and Brisbane the following Saturday on November 7th as part of a revamped Rugby Test Championship after the withdrawal of the South African Springboks.

IMAGE: The Guardian.


bottom of page