• SportFM

Australian Formula 1 Grand Prix cancelled



The Australian Formula One grand prix has been cancelled for a second straight year with Melbourne now set to lose its prestigious season-opening status.


The multi-million dollar race had already been rescheduled from March to November before it was scrapped altogether on Tuesday, while the October Australian MotoGP will also not go ahead at Phillip Island.


The 2020 Australian GP at the Albert Park street circuit was called off at the last moment at the start of the coronavirus pandemic.


Victorian Sports Minister Martin Pakula said Formula One and MotoGP management needed assurances this week that Australia was unable to deliver on.


He said the country's low vaccination rate and the Federal government's recent decision to slash international arrivals had forced their hand.


The motorsport organisations have a set of conditions for each race and that could not be managed if drivers and their crews were required to quarantine.


Formula One already has a race scheduled in Brazil for November 5-7, leaving little time for a two-week hotel quarantine before November 19-21 when the Melbourne event was scheduled, while there was no wriggle room with the final two races in Saudi Arabia and Abu Dhabi in early December.


Australia is not alone with Singapore and Canada both cancelling their races for a second year due to safety and logistic concerns connected to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic.


IMAGE: Sky Sports.