Bombers-Demons match postponed
The scheduled Round 3 Melbourne v Essendon match has been postponed, after Essendon player Conor McKenna returned a positive COVID-19 test on Saturday.
The rest of the round will proceed as scheduled.
24 year old McKenna trained with his team mates at the Dons Saturday morning captains run, sparking fears that more Essendon players could have contacted the virus.
AFL Chief Executive Gillon McLachlan confirmed the match postponement on Saturday.
"We're announcing that we're postponing the Essendon v Melbourne game tomorrow," he said.
"At the moment all players and football department officials at the club have been told to self-isolate."
McLachlan confirmed all Bombers players had been tested.
"All Essendon players were tested last night and Conor McKenna was the only one to test positive." he said.
McKenna was initially tested on Wednesday, returning a negative test before follow up testing later in the week saw a positive test.
"He tested negative five times, he was tested negative on Wednesday. There was a low-level irregularity on Friday and then tested positive today." McLachlan said.
The AFL boss remained convinced the competition was doing all it could to limit the risk of human transmission of the virus through rigorous testing.
"Without the testing, we would not have known (about the positive test). The system is doing what it was designed to do. There's been 13,000 tests and this is the first positive."
The other two Sunday games, both played at Metricon Stadium will proceed, but with adjusted start times to compensate for the postponement of the match in Melbourne.
IMAGE: AFL website.