top of page
  • Writer's pictureSportFM

Dockers dodge Hawks

Fremantle's up and down season has taken a positive turn, defeating Hawthorn by 15 points at Optus Stadium on Sunday.

The Dockers looked set for a cruisy win after opening up a 36-2 lead at quarter-time, but Tom Mitchell's 18-disposal, one-goal second term flipped momentum Hawthorn's way.

The margin was whittled down to five points during the third term, but two clutch goals to Sean Darcy settled Fremantle's nerves and guided them to the 13.18 (96) to 12.9 (81) win in front of 29,490 fans at Optus Stadium.

Fyfe was a crucial cog in the win, tallying 31 disposals and six clearances as well as pulling off several key smothers.

But his kicking for goal left a lot to be desired, with the Fremantle skipper booting six behinds for the match.

Some were easy - like his set shot from 30m out in the first term.

Others were tougher snaps that sailed just wide of the target.

"He's putting plenty of work in behind the scenes. He does extra goalkicking," Longmuir said when asked about Fyfe's goalkicking.

"I think it's going to be one of those things that just clicks for him, I really do. I think his technique is pretty sound, and once he gets one away, he'll be right."

Fremantle veteran David Mundy was arguably best afield with 25 disposals, seven clearances, one goal and four score assists.

Mitchell finished with 37 disposals and five clearances in a losing cause, while Dylan Moore kicked three goals.

Star Hawks midfielder Jaeger O'Meara could cop a fine from the match review officer for his elbow to the ribs of Caleb Serong.

Hawthorn (1-3) have trailed at half-time in all four of their matches this season before launching brave comebacks, and coach Alastair Clarkson says they need to start games better.

"We'd like at some point in time to be ahead at half-time instead of behind," Clarkson said.

"That's four games in a row we've been in arrears at half-time. We need to address that some how. It's not through lack of effort or application."

The Dockers loaded up on tall forwards going into the match, and the tactic paid dividends in the opening quarter as Matt Taberner and Darcy combined for three goals to set up the 34-point lead.

Fremantle won the inside 50m count 19-6 in the opening term and the free-kick count 11-1 as the Hawks were made to pay dearly for their ill-discipline.

Mitchell's second-quarter heroics brought Hawthorn back into the match.

Star Fremantle midfielder Andrew Brayshaw was restricted to just two disposals in the first half under the close attention of James Worpel.

Brayshaw was sent to tag Mitchell in the second half in a bid to break the shackles, and he restricted the Hawks ball magnet to just 12 more touches for the match.

Fremantle head to Adelaide to face a confident Crows outfit in round five, while the Hawks play a red hot Melbourne at the MCG.

IMAGE: The West Australian.


bottom of page