top of page
  • Writer's pictureSportFM

Fyfe the hero in Freo thriller

Fremantle champion Nat Fyfe shrugged off his recent goalkicking woes in the best way possible, kicking the match winning goal against Sydney in his side's two point win at Optus Stadium on Saturday night.

Fyfe's goal with just over four minutes on the clock would be the final major of the night, one of five lead changes in a pulsating final quarter as the Dockers broke a three game losing streak with the 12.14 (86) to 13.6 (84).

Swans superstar Lance Franklin wound back the clock with six majors including three in the final term, but it wasn't to be for his side who were left to rue a goalless third quarter having held a 15 point lead at half time.

Franklin finished with 6.1 and 10 marks from 18 disposals in a performance that mirrored his first appearance at Optus Stadium in 2018 when he kicked eight goals in a match-winning display against West Coast.

Fyfe was monumental for the Dockers with 27 possessions, 13 clearances and the go-ahead goal, while Rory Lobb booted four goals and took four contested marks.

The win came at a cost for Fremantle, who lost spearhead Matt Taberner in the third quarter with a right ankle injury.

Sydney lost defender Robbie Fox in the second quarter after he was accidentally poked in the eye.

Franklin booted two goals in the opening quarter to set the tone - the second of which was a bomb from beyond the arc.

The 34-year-old produced another magical moment in the second quarter when he nailed a goal on the run from 60m.

The lead was 21 points when Will Hayward scored from close range a minute later, but a Michael Walters goal reduced the margin to 15 points at half-time.

Tempers flared as the teams headed for the rooms, with Franklin's jersey ripped in half after he was caught in a stand-off with Fremantle defender Luke Ryan.

Fremantle booted 4.5 to 0.1 during a dominant third quarter, with Fyfe tallying nine possessions and three clearances for the term.

Lobb cashed in with two goals, while Caleb Serong and Adam Cerra also chipped in to give the Dockers a 13-point lead at the final change.

But Franklin switched the momentum in a topsy-turvy final term.

He nailed a 55m bomb at the seven-minute mark, and three minutes later gave Sydney the lead courtesy of a soft free kick.

Fremantle rookie Josh Treacy launched his own 55m goal to give the Dockers back the lead, but Franklin snatched it back for Sydney when he juggled a mark 15m out from goal and then played on to snap truly.

Fyfe would have the final say, with Dockers defender Luke Ryan making a crucial spoil with 18 seconds remaining to snuff out Sydney's last roll of the dice.

The Dockers head to Adelaide to face the Power in round 11 having squared their season win-loss ledger to 5-5, while Sydney host Carlton at the SCG.

IMAGE: Sunshine Coast Daily.

bottom of page