top of page
  • Writer's pictureSportFM

Glory play out 0-0 draw

Perth's run of home matches has got off to a sedate start, playing out a scoreless draw with expansion club Macarthur FC at HBF Park on Saturday.

In a game that was moved from Friday night to Saturday afternoon with a 1:05 PM kick-off because of Perth's lockdown, neither team could find a goal to clinch the three points, instead forced to settle for one point each under sunny skies in the West.

Perth launched wave after wave of attack in the second half of Saturday's match in a desperate bid to get the win they needed to spark their A-League season.

Macarthur goalkeeper Adam Federici was up to the task each time, with his most important moment coming in the 57th minute when he got a deft touch to the ball to send Bruno Fornaroli's shot flying onto the post.

The result continues a barren run for both sides. Glory have posted just one win from their past 11 matches to slip further away from the finals spots. The Bulls are now winless in their past five matches, and could slip out of the top six depending on other results.

Glory coach Richard Garcia was disappointed not to come away with the win, but happy to post the club's first clean sheet of the season.

"It's frustrating, because we know we should have taken those chances and scored," Garcia said.

"But the signs are there that the side are back in the right frame of mind. It's a fantastic clean sheet, and something we've been searching for all season. It would have been nice to win it."

Both teams lacked fluency in the first half, with Macarthur struggling to create clear-cut chances despite dominating territory and possession.

Chances were also few and far between for Perth, but they did create a golden opportunity in the 17th minute when Diego Castro's pass found Fornaroli alone in the box. Fornaroli unleashed the shot, but Federici stuck out his right leg to produce a sensational save.

Federici pulled off another fantastic save in the 57th minute when he palmed Fornaroli's powerful shot onto the post after the Uruguayan's one-two with Castro had opened up Macarthur's defence.

The veteran goalkeeper was called into action numerous times after that as Glory pushed for the winner, and he was up to the task each time.

Garcia's side remains at home for their next four games over eleven days, facing Melbourne City at HBF Park on Wednesday.

IMAGE: South Coast Register.


bottom of page