Horn uncertain on Tszyu fight date
Former WBO welterweight champion Jeff Horn is unsure when his fight with young gun Tim Tszyu will take place, after their scheduled match up for April 22 was postponed due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
After initial uncertainty as to the venue up until last month, the bout was confirmed for Queensland Country Bank Stadium in Townsville, only to be postponed for an indefinite period a fortnight ago.
Horn told Sports Drive on Wednesday that the fight would happen, but was in the dark as to what date it would now be held.
“Who knows when the fight will take place,” the 33 year old said.
“We can’t be told an exact date so it’s hard to stay prepared at that certain level, because it’s hard training and you kind of need a certain amount of preparation to get ready to peak at the right time.”
Horn, who beat Filipino boxer Manny Paqcuiao for the WBO welterweight title in 2017 addressed rumours surrounding whether the fight would be held behind closed doors rather than at the original venue in order to have the fight earlier, subject to government approval.
“It’s been something mentioned, but it’s not something that the promoter (Dean Lonergan) is entertaining at the moment, we’ve got deals in place with the government and with Townsville,” he said.
“We’re very happy to still fight with our original deal which was fighting at Townsville Stadium. It might not be April 22 but will be a little bit further down the track.”
Horn reflected on a dramatic last 12-18 months, having knocked out Anthony Mundine in 60 seconds in November 2018 before losing to fellow Australian Michael Zerafa in Bendigo last August by TKO.
He responded emphatically in the rematch come December, to set up a fight with 25 year old Tszyu, son of former boxer Kostya.
“I’ve sat back and realised what I’ve done with the last 18 or so months, I’ve taken a backward step because of the first loss to Michael (Zerafa),” Horn said.
“It’s quite frustrating that I let that happen, I’ve learnt from that mistake and went back and beat him the second time, it definitely slows down the career from where I wanted to head in the first place,”
“I’ve learnt my lesson and I won’t that mistake again against Tim Tszyu.”
The Queenslander said retirement never crossed his mind after his loss to Zerafa last August, and he plans to continue his boxing career beyond this bout with Tszyu.
Another date for the fight is set to be announced by promoters in the coming weeks.