IPL indefinitely suspended
The lucrative T20 Indian Premier League has been postponed following the COVID-19 crisis that continues to engulf the country.
The tournament had been played behind closed doors in various Indian cities despite COVID cases continuing to spike in the country, with players in a strict coronavirus bubble to protect them from the worst of the virus.
The postponement of the tournament comes in the wake of several players and staff testing positive for coronavirus, including two players from Kolkata Knight Riders, Australian fast bowler Pat Cummins part of their squad.
IPL chairman Brijesh Patel confirmed the postponement of the tournament indefinitely on Tuesday.
"The tournament stands suspended, we are looking for another window," Mr Patel said.
"Right now we can't say when we can reschedule it."
The IPL said in a statement: "The BCCI does not want to compromise on the safety of the players, support staff and the other participants involved in organising the IPL.
"This decision was taken keeping the safety, health and wellbeing of all the stakeholders in mind.
"These are difficult times, especially in India and while we have tried to bring in some positivity and cheer, however, it is imperative that the tournament is now suspended and everyone goes back to their families and loved ones in these trying times.
"The BCCI will do everything in its powers to arrange for the secure and safe passage of all the participants in IPL 2021."
The suspension comes after Indian wicketkeeper batsman Wriddhiman Saha tested positive, believed to be one of many players to return a positive test after the news broke on Monday of two KKR players and several staff being diagnosed with the virus.
Coronavirus numbers in India went past 20 million on Tuesday, with over 350,000 new cases alone in the past 24 hours as the country battles a second wave of the disease.
IMAGE: Herald Sun.