top of page
  • Writer's pictureSportFM

Power surge past Freo

Port Adelaide has made it three wins from as many matches to start season 2020, defeating Fremantle by 29 points at Metricon Stadium on Sunday night.

Fremantle started impressively, leading by a goal at quarter time before the Power slammed on five goals in the second term and keeping their opponents scoreless, setting up their 10.10 (70) to 6.5 (41) triumph in the process.

What made the second quarter even more impressive was the fact that torrential rain arrived early in the term, making ball handling difficult.

Travis Colyer opened the goal scoring for Fremantle in his 100th AFL game, before goals to Sam Powell-Pepper and Charlie Dixon gave Port the lead.

Matt Taberner was a presence up forward for the 'home' side, kicking two majors in the first term as Fremantle led at the first change.

The heavens opened in the second term and so did the goal scoring for the Power, talls Dixon, Justin Westhoff and Todd Marshall providing a real presence despite the tough conditions as they combined for six majors between them.

Scott Lycett dominated in the ruck, forming a formidable partnership with Ollie Wines who had 17 first half disposals.

With a 28 point half time lead Ken Hinkley's men had control of the game, but Freo soldiered on in the third term, both teams only able to kick one goal each as the game became more of a defensive slog.

The Dockers squandered several opportunities to put scoreboard pressure on their opponents in the last term, before Wines kicked the sealer in time on to keep the Power on top of the table.

Former skipper Travis Boak led all comers with 26 disposals, Wines with 25 touches and Dockers captain Nat Fyfe having 23 disposals and kicking a goal on the night.

Both teams ended the game with injury concerns, with returning forward Sam Sturt rolling an ankle for Fremantle and Port young gun Xavier Duursma suffering what looked to be a high grade hamstring strain.

Dockers coach Justin Longmuir lamented his side's second quarter in wet conditions.

"We clearly started the game well, but they handled the conditions better than us," he said.

"We were smashed in the second quarter. It’s not that we didn’t get our hands on the footy, but we just didn’t adjust.

"individuals are drifting in and out a of games, we need to be consistent for four quarters."

IMAGE: Port Adelaide website.


bottom of page