• SportFM

States still ‘in the dark’ over domestic summer



WA Men’s cricket team coach Adam Voges says his side isn’t sure of how or where the 2020-21 domestic season will start, only weeks out from the scheduled commencement of the summer of cricket.


Speaking on Sports Drive on Wednesday, Voges said uncertainty remained over how the season would proceed.


“We are ten or eleven weeks in to our pre-season program and still don’t have exact clarity as to what we are preparing for at this stage,” he said.


“I think there’s been some really positive dialogue between Cricket Australia, the states, the ACA and the players association.”


Reports surfaced late last week that all six states could be based in Adelaide for a block of Shield games to start the summer, with Voges confirming the possibility of a South Australian quarantine hub similar to that of the AFL and Suncorp Super Netball competitions had been raised.


“There has been some communication. It’s an ever-evolving landscape at the moment. I guess until we get absolute confirmation and clarity around that we’re just going to wait and see,” he said.


“If I was a guessing man a hub in Adelaide with some Sheffield Shield to start the season is the most likely situation.”


Voges said he and his side were willing to embrace the difficulties and unique nature of the season, however it would look.


“I think this will be a season like no other with the challenges much like every other sport is facing. I think we as players and coaches and staff need to do everything we can to allow a season to take place.


“If that means we need to travel and be in a hub so that we can get some domestic cricket in prior to the Big Bash and the international schedule then we’re willing to do that.”


The former Australian and WA middle order batsman said the Marsh One Day Cup was likely to be played later in the season, after being Cricket Australia’s go to option for the start of the domestic summer for the past decade.


“At this stage it would look like the One Day Cup would potentially happen post Big Bash in the New Year,” he said.


“There’s even talk of the season going in to April, which is a later finish to what it would normally be. I think any plans post BBL are on hold at the moment until we get a better understand of where states are at in terms of border control.”


Further announcements on the domestic schedule are expected in the coming weeks.

IMAGE: The West Australian.


  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Instagram

© 2020 by Western Sports Media. 91.3 | SportFM Radio | Western Australia.

Unit 4, 153 Rockingham Road, Hamilton Hill, WA, 6163. 

Phone: 9418 7700, Email: info@sportfm.com.au. Proudly created with Wix.com