top of page
  • Writer's pictureSportFM

WA Premier Cricket Wrap


Week 2 of Round 7 of WACA Premier Cricket was a belter, with a rain-affected first week helping to produce some exciting finishes.

Claremont-Nedlands got the chocolates in the top-of-the-table clash at Cresswell Park, getting over Midland-Guildford’s score of 161 with 2 wickets to spare.

The game could’ve gone either way with the Tigers’ top six back in the sheds at 6 for 117, but Alex Trimboli (26 from 77 balls) and Liam Haskett (19 from 46 balls) came up clutch to secure the win, with Jack Giancomo (4/51 from 10.5 overs) and Jordan Mast (3/35 from 16 overs) giving their all with the ball for the visitors.

The hosts finished all out for 205 before an audacious attempt at an outright saw the Black Ducks bat again, getting to 2 for 33 from 6 overs before the teams shook hands.

After resuming at 3 for 41 in pursuit of University’s score of 264 at James Oval, Tom Cullen (88 from 216 balls) and Lachlan Farrow (67 from 164 balls) combined to have Melville in good shape, needing a further 42 runs with 5 wickets left in hand.

Mitch Drennan (3/44 from 28 overs) got the big wicket of Cullen before Jay Chislett (4/59 from 26 overs) ran through the tail, with the Storm ending 24 runs short at 240 from 106 overs.

At Stevens Reserve, Fremantle got over Bayswater-Morley’s score of 281 after 78.3 overs, losing 5 wickets in the process.

All-rounder Kaiden Cookson underpinned the reply from the top of the order with 91 from 214 balls, and was well supported by Douwtjie Hoogenboezem (47 from 121 balls), Dan Kennedy (43 from 46 balls), and George Bartlett (36 from 43 balls).

After resuming on 109 not out, Cooper Connelly went massive in Scarborough’s clash with Perth at Fletcher Park, falling just short of a double ton with 188 from 240 balls as the Gulls made 327 from 92.2 overs, with Connor Blaxall-Hall (6/108 from 31 overs) the best with the ball.

The Demons hung for the 66 overs they were required to survive, with their score of 7 for 172 having skipper Jono Wells to thank for his 112* from 187 deliveries, with Joel Curtis (25 from 41 balls) the only other batter to reach double figures.

It was a good round for the competition’s young guns, with Rockingham-Mandurah’s Corey Wasley (143 from 152 balls) and Teague Wyllie (112 from 215 balls) dominant as the Mariners cruised past Mount Lawley’s score of 168 at Retravision Stadium, making 2 for 329 from 71 overs.

Subiaco-Floreat did brilliantly to manufacture a result against Gosnells at Sutherlands Park with only one day of play, starting with bowling the hosts out for 183 inside 62 overs, with the in-form Hamish McKenzie (4/42 from 14.5 overs) well supported by the dependable Chris Hansberry (3/50 from 13 overs).

Ethan Petta (69 from 58 balls) and Jayden Goodwin (46 from 38 balls) swung hard and often as the Lions tracked down the target late in the last session after just 28.2 overs, losing 5 wickets in the chase.

After week one of their fixture was abandoned, Joondalup found themselves in deep early trouble after being sent in against Wannero at Kingsway Sports Ground, slipping to 3 for 4.

A strong recovery came courtesy of magnificent efforts from Toby Albert (106* from 191 balls), Jake Riccardi (68 from 60 balls), and Kai Orr (64 from 96 balls), who saw the Centurions to the safety of a draw at 5 for 265 from 66.1 overs.

South Perth gave Willetton an almighty scare at Burrendah Park, falling just three wickets short of securing a win.

After no play was possible last week, the visitors batted first and made 207 from 56.4 overs, with debutants Nic Taylor (59* from 101 balls) and English import Ben Gibbon (4/84 from 19 overs) the best for their respective sides.

The Dragons came out with intent but shut up shop after slipping to 3 for 46, with Blair Walsh (38 from 78 balls) top scoring as Simon Ringrose (4/35 from 15 overs) consistently intervened to keep the game alive.

bottom of page