top of page
  • Writer's pictureJosh Kempton

WA Premier Cricket Wrap Round Six, Day Two

Saturday’s conditions were excellent for batting on week two of round six of WA Premier Cricket and some of the competition’s gun batters took full toll to produce big scores.

Perth showcased their strength with willow in hand by running down Joondalup’s score of 334 at Iluka Sports Complex.

Hundreds for Jono Wells (112* from 146 balls) and Sam Fanning (107 from 148 balls) set the game up before some late finishing touches came from 2nd XI debutant Connor Blaxall-Hill (54 from 49 balls), seeing the Demons into second spot on the ladder.

University’s dynamic duo James Bracey and Will Bosisto were dominant in their nine-wicket win over Rockingham-Mandurah at Retravision Stadium.

In pursuit of the Mariners’ effort of 267, English import Bracey produced a brilliant 161* from 261 deliveries and former WA and SA batter Bosisto made a fine 100* from 212 deliveries on a tough day for the hosts, who used eight bowlers in search of an elusive wicket.

A Hilton Cartwright special hauled South Perth off the bottom of the ladder, continuing Melville’s winless start to the season with a three-wicket victory at Richardson Park.

An early finish to WA’s Sheffield Shield clash allowed Cartwright to continue his innings on 12 not out and he duly belted a brilliant 162 not out from 209 deliveries, with Ben Middlemas (41 from 124 balls) playing an important support role as the hosts tracked down their target of 242.

Scarborough maintained their place atop the table with last week’s first innings points but could not secure an outright win over Midland-Guildford at Abbett Park.

Resuming at 7 for 183 having moved past the Black Ducks’ effort of 103, some late fireworks from Andrew Tye (29 from 15 balls) boosted the Gulls' score to 9d for 272, but their 44 second innings overs only brought three wickets as James Kirkwan (48* from 139) assumed the responsibility of batting through.

Willetton secured a nervy first innings win over Gosnells at Sutherlands Park but their attempt at an outright win bore no fruit.

Resuming needing another 12 runs to win with three wickets in hand, Luke Holt (40 from 89 balls) and Matt Hanna (26 from 39 balls) did the job without fuss for the Dragons, but the Hawks held on for 56 second-innings overs before the teams shook hands.

Bayswater-Morley secured their first red-ball victory of the season, beating Mount Lawley by five wickets at Breckler Park.

The match was firmly in the balance after the Hawks grabbed some important top-order wickets but wicketkeeper Christian Smith (101* from 144 balls) and Callum Wiggers (71 from 82 balls) got to work to secure an important win for the Bears.

Claremont-Nedlands could not defend their below-par total of 201 at Stevens Reserve, with Fremantle winning by four wickets at Stevens Reserve.

The competition’s second-leading run scorer Douwtjie Hoogenboezem (52 from 99 balls) maintained his hot start to the season before captain Chris Davenport (68 from 164 balls) led the Port Boys over the line with around an hour’s play to spare.

Subiaco-Floreat were too good for Wanneroo at Floreat Park, with the hosts winning by six wickets.

The chase of 204 was a team effort for the Lions, with Bailey Gregson (55 from 90 balls) and Ethan Chivers (39 from 106 balls) setting a solid foundation before the in-form Hamish McKenzie (57* from 90 balls) and Geremy Fatouros (35 from 70 balls) finished the job.

IMAGE: Supplied


bottom of page