top of page
  • Writer's pictureSportFM

WAFL and WAFLW Grand Final postponed

Both the WAFLW Grand Final and round 13 of the WAFL will be postponed, due to the four day lockdown for both the Perth and Peel regions.

With the lockdown set to end at 12:01 AM on Saturday July 3rd at the earliest, the WA Football Commission made the call to postpone the weekend's matches, confirming the decision on Tuesday.

'The WAFC wishes to advise that following consultation with all WAFL & WAFLW clubs the following decisions have been made in relation to fixtures for this weekend. ' the statement read.

'All WAFL and WAFLW fixtures scheduled for this weekend (July 3 & 4) will be postponed, with the WAFC to be guided by any further directions and health advice from the WA State Government before re-scheduling matches. '

'After consultation with WAFL & WAFLW clubs, the health and safety of all players and the uncertainty around WA State Government restrictions meant the WAFC has made the decision to postpone games.'

The WAFLW Grand Final between Peel Thunder and Swan Districts was set for Saturday afternoon at Rushton Park, now to be re-scheduled for a later date.

With both West Coast and Fremantle fleeing the state due to the lockdown, it would have meant no AFL listed players would be available this weekend.

WAFC Executive Manager WAFL and Talent Scott Baker said the health and safety of players and officials was paramount in arriving at the decision.

“The health and safety of our football participants and the wider community remains the priority and we will continue to make decisions in the best interests of everyone,” Baker said.

“While it is disappointing to have to postpone the Optus WAFLW Grand Final, collectively we believe this is the correct outcome for players, staff and supporters.”

“The WAFC thanks all clubs and supporters for their continued understanding as we navigate our way through the COVID-19 pandemic.”

More information is expected on the Perth and Peel regions lockdown from the state government and health officials throughout the week, with no new cases recorded on Tuesday after two new cases of the highly infectious delta strain forced the lockdown on Monday night.


bottom of page